July 1, 2014

June 16, 2014 Happy Father's Day!


This week was another super jam-packed week full of MIRACLES.  I just wanted to share this quote with you all.  I saw it on the wall of one of the sisters we went on exchanges with this week.  Here it is:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you NOT to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so others won't feel unsure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us, it is in all of us.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others."

When I read this quote, I felt like I had found an answer to many of my questions about my fears/goals/doubts in life.  I know that we all are filled with so much light - SO MUCH LIGHT.  We have dreams and goals and visions to fulfill.  We often find ourselves doubting that light within us.  Sometimes Satan fills our minds with negative thoughts - thoughts that cause us to question our own divinity, our own identity, and our own nature.  We ARE God's children, and we have been given talents - talents to develop and to nurture.

The talents we have must be shared and developed.  It would me more selfish of us to hide our talents than to develop and share them with the people around us.  

I love Ether 12:4, a scripture that explains that when we have faith in Christ, then we can have hope for a better world.

Doesn't that sound appealing to you?! - The hope for a BETTER world!

I love that my Heavenly Father loves me enough to provide for us the plan of salvation.  I have a testimony of His love, and I have faith in His plan.  I know that with faith, we can do all things that are sufficient to Him.

Well, on to the miracles of this week.  

EXCHANGES:

Tuesday: Tanzi sisters

On Tuesday, I went to Tanzi to serve with Sister Ko.  Sister Ko is so amazing!! While we were on our exchange, I got to meet the investigator that I had contacted a month ago on our area.  I had run into this investigator at a park last month and referred to the Tanzi sisters not knowing that they had actually started meeting with her!! So, it was perfect because when I exchanged over to Tanzi, this investigator had time, and I got to meet her!! She's run into missionaries plenty of times before but had never been willing to write down her contact information until she ran into me.  I guess God really had prepared her!  Anyway, during the exchange, we met with FIVE new investigators.  That's five SOLID investigators who all are willing to meet with the sisters right now!!! :) Sister Ko is a Taiwanese sister who is going to America to live with her mother when she goes home.  We made plans to hang out all the time when we both get back home! :)  

Friday: Daya Sisters

I went over to Daya to serve with SISTER TING!!! YEAH!! THAT Sister Ting, my MTC companion!! We FINALLY have been able to serve together since the MTC.  hahaha It was like the best exchange ever.

Here's the cool miracle from that exchange: Thursday night, I got a call from another investigator that I had contacted during English proselyting.  This investigator works in Taipei and has been too busy to meet with the missionaries since the last time she came to our English class here in Dakeng.  Here's the miracle:  This investigator lives in DAYA.  So, we know we needed to refer her to the Daya sisters a long time ago, but it was a little difficult because she's one of those people who needs a connection before being willing to meet.  Anyway, Thursday night, I knew that I'd be in Daya, so I was able to schedule her to meet Sister Ting and me at the church in Daya and then get dinner together.  

So, on Friday night, she showed up at the church, we were able to call up a member who was a perfect "peike" for her!!  The member treated all of us out to dinner, and then we went back to the church to teach her the first lesson.  When we taught her, she listened intently and really understood/was willing to continue learning!!! So, the Daya sisters have a new investigator!

It was really cool to serve with Sister Ting again.  We've both grown so much, and we were able to teach with so much unity.  There were so many other cool miracles while we were together, including the finding of a new less-active member who is totally going to be the future relief society president!!

I love exchanges!!!

Alright last miracle.  This one just happened last night while Sister Packard and I were out proselyting.  Here's my journal entry from this morning:

Last night we planned to see Xia JM, so we went and chatted with her at the lottery she works at.  She seemed really distracted when we were talking with her, so we were about to leave.  Right as we were going to say a prayer with her, guess who walked past the lottery?! - LISA.

Yes.  THAT Lisa.

I'll explain.  Lisa was an investigator in Taiping and knows Sister Graham, Sister Sadie Anderson, and Sister Ward.  That was a few months ago when she lived in Taiping.  When I was companions with Sister Anderson in Yuanlin, I had heard a bunch of stories about this investigator named Lisa, but I didn't really think that one day I'd actually meet and run into her!

So anyway, Lisa was walking her dogs last night and passed us while we were with Xia JM.  Since neither Sister Packard nor I knew her before, we didn't really think anything of it.  We DID make a comment about the pants she was wearing because they were kind of cool! 

Anyway, we later learned that she was actually never going to come back around the same way she had walked past, but for some reason she DID walk back the same way she came.  When she walked past the lottery again, she caught a glimpse of Sister Packard and then thought, "An American - Must be a missionary!"

So, she stopped and started talking to us strangers.  At first, Sister Packard and I were a little weary of her because her first remark to us was this: "Oh!! You're the Mormons!"  ...

However, Lisa started talking about how she had met with the missaionries in Taiping before.  When she moved to Dakeng, she left the missionaries with her last home in Taiping.  She wasn't planning on ever finding us again.

Anyway, we were all super surprised but delighted to see her, and she immediately invited us over to her house last night for watermelons!! Lisa is now our new investigator and is so excited to be meeting with the missionaries again.  

Her English is also super amazing because she lived in San Francisco for a majority of her life!! 

Man, the story probably sounds super confusing, but remind me to tell you all about when I get home. It REALLY is amazing!!

Well, this week is going to be another fun week full of adventures!! Sister Packard and I both love this work so much, and we're constantly working really hard to have that unity in our companionship.

I've been studying a lot about Christ's life lately, and I'm absolutely blown away by His perfect role and love in our lives.  Just wanted to encourage you all to really understand and get to know Christ more and more everyday!! He is our perfect example and our loving older brother!

I love Him! He loves us, and I love you!

Love,
Sister Verina Chen

No comments:

Post a Comment