May 1, 2013

Washington - 4/30/2013


Dear Family and friends,

OK!!! I have so much to say this week!!!!!

Shoutouts:
  
Aunt Humphries!!! - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I heard about your limousine and very fancy birthday outing with all the sisters, including my cute mom! Thank you for helping me choose all my missionary clothes! I get compliments basically every day on how cute and professionally I dress. - It's wonderful!! I also love the Mormon Tabernal Choir CD's you gave me.  They remind me of you every time I listen to them!

Ok, so this week was amazing! We had my first baptism.  Her name is Teri, and she is basically the cutest, kindest woman I have met.  Sister Huddleston and I were able to begin teach her and only taught her 4 times before she got baptized.  I extended the baptismal invite and put her on-date the first time we met. It was incredible!!! GAH. Seeing your investigators in white and ready to embrace the gospel is the best feeling in the world. 

This week, I was reminded that God really is aware of each of us.  He has shown me all the tender mercies every single day I have been out on my mission.  My companion and I missed the bus by a couple of seconds (LITERALLY) the other day when we were headed home.  We were DEVASTATED GAH!!! - BUT, we had the prompting to go to Walgreens just across the street.  When we were there, my companion and I saw these little bamboo plants that were on sale, so we both bought one and then headed back to the bus stop to wait.  While we were there, two people started talking to us about the bamboo plants, and we were able to tell them about our church and invite them on church tours.  - ISN'T THAT INCREDIBLE!?!?! haha

EVERYONE I have been able to meet and teach has touched my heart in one way or another.  I feel so much charity for each and everyone of the people over here.  When they choose to not accept the gospel, it makes me a little heartbroken because I just want everyone to feel the happiness and joy that I feel every second of my day out here!

So on Saturday, we had my first baptism in the morning that I was able to play music for (prelude, hymns, postlude, etc.) - Which reminds me, Mom, can you send me more CD's of my recording of all the hymns?! - I've given all of them away, and some people want copies.  - ANYWAY - after the baptism, we had a wedding in the chapel, so I played for that too. I played Canon in D and Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach (Ok.  I probably have the name of Bach's piece all messed up, but you get the idea.)  It was wonderful that I have been able to play so much over here!!

Last night, I met Jimmy, another foreign exchange student.  He's half-Taiwanese, half-Chinese, and he might call you today around 3-6 pm.  I emailed Vicky more information about him, so she really needs to check her email.  Isn't it awesome that God has let me relate to the people I have been able to serve over here in Spokane?!

Anyway, here's an inspiring quote that my mission president shared with us: "Joseph Smith gives this great counsel: "...shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren (and sisters); and on, on to the victory!" (D&C 128:22) This applies to the great work of salvation that you are doing. "All victory and glory is brought to pass unto you through your diligence, faithfulness, and prayers of faith." (D&C 103:36)."

I'm super excited for everyone at home, ESPECIALLY VICKY.  I can't wait to hear from you all, and I'm so excited to head to Taiwan and be able to help the people over there.  My Chinese is slowly improving, and I learn new characters as much as I can every week.  It's wonderful being here.  I love my companion, too. We always leave little notes for one another, and she loves and is so grateful for Mom who always sends us matching packages. The fiber one bars were so great when we needed a little snack this week.  :)

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! Keep your heads up and keep serving and loving the people.  I know Vicky is going to be on top of missionary work over there in the PV5 ward! Make sure you visit all the lonely people and bring cookies!!!

HAVE AN AWESOME WEEK, Y'ALL!! TAKE CARE!! And for goodness sakes, WRITE ME!!!!
  
Love,

Sister Verina Chen

 MY FIRST BAPTISM WAS ON SATURDAY!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment