July 1, 2014

6.30.2014 - Dakeng - I am not a number. I'm a believer!!!


 By the end of every day, I feel like I've given EVERYTHING that I have.  Sister Packard and I discussed last night about how we've had the lowest key indicators we've ever had on our missions recently; however, we've never been so happy and so ... filled with PEACE our whole missions.

Even though we are often coming out with a bunch of  "O's", we feel as if they are the fattest zero's ever because we put SO much faith, SO much work, SO much sacrifice, SO much sweat, and SO much love into this work.  I'm really learning about how true character and true success cannot be found in mere statistical evidences.  True success and joy is found in who you ARE.

I don't want people to ask me how many baptisms I've had, how many less-actives I saved, how many people I contacted on the street, how many lessons I had in a week, etc. And it's not because the statistic is too high or too low.  

Whatever the numerical reply, it does NOT and CANNOT reflect upon the person I REALLY am.

I believe that success is defined when we become individuals of character - people who change - people who love - people who try - people who serve - people who sacrifice - people who learn.

As missionaries, we are always reminded that the people we interact with are not and cannot be regarded as mere numbers.  Sometimes, we forget to acknowledge that we as missionaries are not and never will be mere numbers.

I am not a number.

I know that I want to continue changing.  I know that I want to continue learning.  I know that I want to continue serving.  I know that I want to continue loving.  I know that I want to continue BECOMING. - Becoming who God wants me to become.
 
Knowing this fills me with so much faith, so much hope, so much joy, and so much peace.  I know that if we have righteous desires, work diligently with faith, and have patience/long-suffering, we will truly see God's tender mercies and blessings pour out from the windows of heaven.

Let us all continue learning and growing in wisdom and truth.  This week, I really studied about "truth".

As I studied in PMG about what truth is, I found out the following:

Truth is God's word.
Truth is light.
Truth, no matter where you go or what you're called, is the same and does not change.

So, what is God's word?!

Words of the prophets (AKA SCRIPTURES)
 - the Bible and the Book of Mormon

Why do we need truth?!  

A: Why do we need light?!

- Light allows us to see.  It guides us and directs us.  It fills us with warmth.

- Similar to the process of photosynthesis in plants, truth is necessary for us as people to grow spiritually and intellectually.

In the scriptures, we learn the light is necessary for us to find our way back home to our Heavenly Father.  It's the way for us to be saved.  It is the way to eternal glory.

So, what can we do?! What does God want us to do?!

He wants us to continue finding and searching for truth, and the best thing about it is this:  No matter where we are, no matter who we are, no matter the circumstance, we can ALL find truth in our situations 24/7.

Is that not the greatest gift God has granted us?!

I think the happiest thing for me would be to see my loved ones searching and diligently seeking truth and light.  Why?!?! - Because that is how we are going to get back home!! THAT is the way we are going to receive blessings beyond our comprehension.

I hope that you can feel what I feel.  I know that you can!  

Sometimes it's hard for us to see the blessings that God desires to give us.  It's hard for us to see the blessings that He has prepared for US.  Sometimes all we can see is how He's blessing everyone around us.

For instance, I have never contacted and then REFERRED so many golden people to every area BUT my own (Dakeng) than now.  Just last night, I ran into this 20 year old cute girl who is GOLDEN - just to find out that she lives in the Beitun area.  Although, I'll have to admit.  When I found out that she wasn't our investigator, I wasn't surprised because it's happened to us THAT MUCH.

I was feeling as if God was cheating me of all these blessings... And to be honest, I was mumbling because I felt like all of the blessings we have been working so hard for have all been given to other missionaries.  

However, as I prayed and thought about this situation, I realized that this work is NOTHING about me.  How can I say that I deserve all these blessings?!? The work of God is JUST THAT.  It's not the work of Sister Chen.  It's not even the work of President Monson.  It's the work of God, and everything that we do DOES contribute to God's work.  We cannot glory in ourselves.  We must glory God.  ALL that we do and say should be in behalf of God and His work.

No matter what part of the work we are, we ALL contribute to the glory of God, and that is joy beyond measure.

God really has been answering my prayers because this morning, I ran into this wonderful scripture:

"Verily, verily I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you."

"And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along.  The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours."

"And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of the earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more."

"Wherefore, do the things which I have commanded you, saith your Redeemer even the Son Ahman, who prepareth all things before he taketh you."

"And he that is a faithful and wise steward shall inherit all things."

-Doctrine and Covenants 78:17-22

So, what is your assignment for this week?!?!

Read that scripture.  Ponder it.  Tear it apart, and APPLY.

Is Sister Verina Chen a believer?!

YES, I AM A BELIEVER.

So, believe this when I say it: I love you, I do!!

Love,
Sister Verina Chen

No comments:

Post a Comment