February 16, 2013

DIY Hairbows

The other day, I went through all my clothes and found many items that were too small or too worn/torn.  Instead of throwing all the fabric away, I decided to get crafty and make some hair bows to be given as gifts/be worn on my mission.

So, this is how my mom showed me how to make these adorable hair bows: 

1. Choose a pattern/fabric.  Today I made bows out of lace, leather, and of course, polka dots!! - Really, any thing will do!


2. Cut your desired pattern into a rectangle (2''X4'' - or however big you'd like your bow to be) with fabric scissors.



3.  Fold the fabric in half with the insides facing out:


4.  Sew two of the sides with a needle and thread and tie off! (You will need to leave the last side open to turn the fabric inside out!



5.  Turn the fabric inside out and sew in the remaining opened side.  Try to hide the sewing marks by folding the outside edges in as shown:


6.  Sew down the middle of the fabric and pull the string tight.  The process should look like this:


7.  Wrap the thread around the center of the bow at least three times and knot in the back.


8.  With a thin piece of the same fabric, wrap around the center of the bow and sew the ends together in the back:









9.  Attach a hair clip or bobby pin to the back of the bow.  You can sew or glue the clip/pin onto the bow!!

10.  Wear the bow OR give it away as a gift, but make sure you have fun while you're at it! ^_^

HAPPY CRAFTING, EVERYONE!

To top this post off, here are some cute pictures of my parents.  The first is my cute Mom wearing some of the many bows I made today, and the second is them just being adorable:


OK.  Are they the cutest parents in the world?!  - I'm the luckiest girl alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment